Your Life, Your Care survey
Find out more about the Your Life, Your Care survey
The Your Life, Your Care survey measures the wellbeing of looked-after children and young from as young as four.
The survey is unique because:
- It is designed by young people themselves
- It helps local authorities (LAs) understand what works well for children in care, and where things could improve
- It helps LAs demonstrate how they are meeting Ofsted requirements by showing that children and young people are being listened to, and that their views and experiences are considered when services that affect them are developed
- It forms the basis for a new child-led service improvement framework that complements and enhances existing frameworks, such as DfE performance data and Ofsted
- It is strongly evidence based – the survey draws on two international literature reviews by the University of Bristol [link to page]
- It captures the experience of younger children (from four years) through age-appropriate questionnaires and using trusted adults
- It enables good practice to be shared between LAs
- It is confidential. The data is aggregated and no one will be able to identify what individual children have said
- It is quick and easy to complete with age-appropriate questionnaires that only take around 10 minutes to complete
- It is secure. The online survey is administered through Bristol Online Surveys at the University of Bristol, providing a high level of security and adherence to EU data protection legislation.
What we’ve discovered
Our new report Our Lives, Our Care: Looked after children’s views on their well-being details all the findings from the survey in 2016.
You can read the report in our section What the survey tells us.